Thursday, November 22, 2007

Fun, fire and feet



For our Halloween family get together, we all went to my aunt and uncles farm where we had dinner, a campfire and played on the fourwheeler and go cart! Too fun! This first pic is my view from back of four wheeler with my mom and neice riding ahead of me. second pic is of the campfire where some ppl ate marshmellows- Yuck! ( vegetarian soapbox alert*** Did you know they have bone/hooves in them? yes that is what makes gelatin, a common ingredient in food, pills etc. {{{shudder}}}) Anyhoo, I had my first home visit for foster care certification to have the adoption. I am also on week 4 next week, of
the 10 classes. Can you beleive they cancelled for Thanksgiving? Jeez, I guess they have their own lives, ok, ok. So classes are over Jan 10th, yippee! This is a pic of the babies foot while he is wearing his braces. They are called Sure Step Dynamic Stabilizing System. ( www.surestep.net) They are for young children and help give proper position, support and balance. He has them because of his Sensory Integration Disorder (SI) did not let him feel his feet properly. Apparently he didn't have a good sense of where his feet were or what they were doing. With the braces providing compression, there is more sensory information sent to his brain so he can tell where they are and use them. After getting his braces, he was able to finally walk. (And now runs around like a reg fast toddler!) They are used to treat a variety of conditions like walking on ankles, ect. They are cut so toes and ball of foot can still be used and feel the floor allowing for better pushing, jumping, walking and so on.
People with neuropathy from diabetes or whatever, can explain about loss of sensory info telling you where your feet are at and what they are doing. That is why they might watch their feet while going down stairs or take shoes off to drive, because if you can't feel the gas/brake pedals or don't know where the next step is, accidents can happen! Imagine stepping on both gas and brake at the same time by accident or sliding from one to the other without realizing it- not good. I have mild nueropathy and can empathize with the little one in that way. I don't have any fancy foot braces though, LOL.

I hope everyone is doing well! My CNA classes are finally over so I hope to have a bit more time to check back in with everyone now. :) Talk to you soon!

No comments: